Startup School is committed to ensuring that business mentorship is used in a positive and impactful way. Part of the Startup School programme relies on a strong mentorship pillar to support and guide our entrepreneurs. Using key information from both the entrepreneur and the volunteering mentor, Startup School ensures the best possible pairing and facilitates a successful mentor-mentee relationship.
The programme is supported by Startup School coaches, who will have a working relationship with each of the entrepreneurs throughout the process. During the course, entrepreneurs will go through a process of signing up for a mentor, in which they will articulate their primary business interests as well as their expectations of a mentorship relationship.
The Startup School coach will use their own gathered knowledge of the entrepreneur, the entrepreneur’s application for a mentor, as well as the mentor’s profile to place entrepreneurs with the best suited mentor. The mentor will review the entrepreneur’s application and have the final say as to whether they are prepared to enter into the mentorship relationship.
Why be a
Startup School Mentor?
- Pay-it-forward by passing your knowledge and experience over to startup entrepreneurs.
- Contribute in a real and tangible way to unlock the potential that South African entrepreneurs have to offer.
- An opportunity to contribute in leading positive change towards growing the South African and African economies.
- An opportunity to potentially invest in high potential entrepreneurs and businesses.
- Networking with the best of South Africa’s business minds, who will also be mentoring on the programme.
- You will be able to manage your mentorship timelines and commitments with your respective entrepreneurs to ensure that value is realised for you and the entrepreneur.
One hour of your time each week for 8 weeks.
Meetings can take place in person or remotely via Skype, WhatsApp Call or Google Hangouts.
Startup School defines a mentor as a person who:
- Gives business advice and expert recommendations on a regular basis.
- Brings personal experience to the mentorship programme.
- May choose to use their contacts and networks to help the mentee.
- Is unpaid and volunteers an agreed amount of time to the mentorship programme.
- Shares Startup School’s vision and its success as a programme.
3 easy steps to becoming a
Mentor with Startup School
Becoming a mentor with Startup School is simple, in three easy steps you could be chosen as a mentor to one of the most promising South African entrepreneurs. It's easy to get involved, and the opportunity to have a profound impact on these entrepreneurs and their businesses is enormous. We sincerely hope you will take the step towards signing up to become a mentor with us.
Sign up and let us know what industry you are a specialist in.
Startup School will help pair you with the right entrepreneur. You will have the final say in who you would like to mentor.
Let the growth begin!